Welcome to the 2013-2014 SEL Department Wednesday Brain Break Series! This is a place to share and learn about quick energizers and brain breaks that you can use in your classrooms TODAY!
We are starting off with one that was very popular during trainings this summer. It is Whole Group Rock, Paper, Scissors. This was adapted from Playworks version found here.
This brain break is fast, fun, and a great team builder!
Source: Playworks Louisana
Here are the rules:
1. Review how to play rock, paper, scissor with your class
2. Have students pair up and play one round of rock paper scissors.
3. Whoever wins raises their hands in the air to find another winner. Whoever doesn’t win becomes the winner’s cheerleader and supports them in the next round. Every time there is a new winner, the cheerleaders from the loser’s side join the cheerleaders on the winner’s side to support the new winner.
4. Continue to play until there are only two people left and everyone else is cheering for one of the two.
5. Give a round of applause for the winner and sit down.
Debrief- asks your students:
1. How did it feel to lose? How did it feel to lose and then become the winner’s cheerleader?
2. If you won, how did it feel to have a cheerleader supporting you?
3. How can you apply the rules of this game to this classroom and your friendships in general?
Here is a video of this brain break in action!
Share in the comments about how this worked in your classroom!