On a recent visit to Sims Elementary in AustinISD, I saw a teacher doing “Brain Yoga” with her students.
I hadn’t heard of brain yoga before so I did a little investigating. The concept comes from a book called SuperBrain Yoga by Choa Kok Sui. The idea is to harness yoga techniques to increase students’ ability to focus and learn.
Here’s how you do it:
- Hold your right earlobe with the index finger and thumb of your left hand. Make sure that the thumb is facing away from you. (Or touch your left hand to your right shoulder.)
- Hold your left earlobe with the index finger and thumb of your right hand. Once again, make sure that your thumb is facing away from you. (Or touch your right hand to your left shoulder.)
- Press your tongue to the roof of your mouth.
- Inhale through your nose, and slowly lower yourself into a squatting position.
- Exhale as you slowly stand back up.
Would this work in your classroom? Share your thoughts below!