This Brain Break helps build math and cooperation skills as well as giving students a chance to move around and get their blood flowing!
1. Have students make a group of 3-5 students and stand in a circle.
2. Give students a number they are aiming to make as a group (5, 11, 16, etc.).
3. Tell students on the count of three they will show a number on their hand from 0 – 5. As a group they are trying to get their numbers to add up to the goal (5, 11, 16, etc.).
4. Say “1, 2, 3, THROW” students all show a number and check if it added up to their goal. If not- try again!
5. Once your group has made the number they can sit down.
Adaptations: To make this easier, you can give students less options for numbers to throw out (You can throw a 1 or a 2.) and/or give them a number goal that’s a multiple of the number of students in the group (For example: if there are 4 students in the group, have them try to make the number 4 or 8 or 12 or 16)
What are your favorite brain breaks? Feel free to share in the comment section.